We’ve written about plenty of useful old-fashioned cures that have stood the test of time, but what about the cures that fizzled out of popularity? (Disclaimer: we do not suggest trying any of these.)
Here are some good examples of bad cures:
- A cure for baldness meant putting fresh cow manure directly on your head.
- Got anemia? Eat raw liver and drink blood. Sure, you’ll get your iron, but you’ll lose all of it if it comes back up.
- Cure a head cold by catching leaves falling from trees! Of course, for this cure you will have to wait until autumn rolls around to cure your cold.
- Get rid of diarrhea by eating coconut cookies. This is probably one of the most delicious cures you’ll find; if it doesn’t work, at least you get to eat cookies!
- Cut away a headache by sleeping with scissors under your pillow. The headache will be gone just overnight (that’s the claim, anyway)!
- Sear a rabies bite with a hot iron to stop yourself from going crazy.
- For a stomach ache, cut off a little hair from behind your right ear while under the light of a full moon, then throw the hair over your right shoulder.
We do not recommend trying these at home. Or trying them anywhere, for that matter. These old wives’ tales will probably just make you sicker!
All listed “cures” courtesy of legendsofamerica.com.