We’ve written about plenty of useful old-fashioned cures that have stood the test of time, but what about the cures that fizzled out of popularity? (Disclaimer: we do not suggest trying any of these.)
Here are some good examples of bad cures:
- A cure for baldness meant putting fresh cow manure directly on your head.
- Got anemia? Eat raw liver and drink blood. Sure, you’ll get your iron, but you’ll lose all of it if it comes back up.
- Cure a head cold by catching leaves falling from trees! Of course, for this cure you will have to wait until autumn rolls around to cure your cold.
- Get rid of diarrhea by eating coconut cookies. This is probably one of the most delicious cures you’ll find; if it doesn’t work, at least you get to eat cookies!
- Cut away a headache by sleeping with scissors under your pillow. The headache will be gone just overnight (that’s the claim, anyway)!
- Sear a rabies bite with a hot iron to stop yourself from going crazy.
- For a stomach ache, cut off a little hair from behind your right ear while under the light of a full moon, then throw the hair over your right shoulder.
We do not recommend trying these at home. Or trying them anywhere, for that matter. These old wives’ tales will probably just make you sicker!
All listed “cures” courtesy of legendsofamerica.com.
The best thing about old-fashioned, natural cures is that one product can solve – or at least soothe – multiple problems. You can keep them around the house in case of any issue.
Apple cider vinegar is one such solution. This all-purpose vinegar is different from regular vinegar because it’s made from the juice of apples and fermented into vinegar.
It’s important to use unpasteurized ACV to get the full benefits.
So what can apple cider vinegar do for you? Let’s start with the basics:
- Apple cider vinegar improves digestion. Dissolve a tablespoon into a large glass of water and drink it 15 minutes before a meal. This will help break down the food in your stomach for easier digestion.
- Drink ACV to improve your immune system. Doing so helps the growth of good bacteria in your body and helps prevent illness.
- Got heartburn? ACV helps. As usual, don’t drink it straight, but if you’re suffering from heartburn, dilute it in water and drink up to stop the burn. ACV helps balance stomach acid and in doing so calms down heartburn.
- ACV reduces bacteria that cause bad breath. Just gargle some diluted ACV to kill the bad germs and the bad breath will go away.
- Drink ACV for energy. It’s considered very healthy with lots of nutrients that will give you energy throughout the day.
These are just the start of the solutions that apple cider vinegar can give you. You can go here for more information.
Do you take apple cider vinegar, or use it externally? Let us know in the comments what apple cider vinegar does for you.